Update: a mini user guide is available on how to use Ethernet adapter for Chromecast.
Google quietly released a $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast in July 8.
The adapter will not only improve the network performance of Chromecast especially if your WiFi network signal (strength and quality) is not so good, but also may introduce new usages for Chromecast.
I will share with you why this $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast actually is a big thing for the e $35 Chromecast .
Will $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast drag you back to wired era?
The $35 Chromecast is supposed to be very simple to setup and simple to use.
Most of the time, it is. But not always.
Some Chromecast owners have faced such problems:
- weak WiFi signal or poor WiFi signal quality near TV.
- no idea how to connect the Chromecast to the wireless network.
- very old wireless router only supporting 802.11b.
- no WiFi in office.
- poor network performance of Chromecast.
Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will surely solve these problems.
- Ethernet connection is far more stable than WiFi. Even the 10M/100M Ethernet ports in some aged routers usually can offer better and smoother streaming than 5G Hz wireless AC connection from middle-range 802.11ac routers.
- Chromecast currently only uses 2.4G Hz. 5G Hz support will be available in the next generation of Chromecast (Chromecast II?).
- Wireless connection requires more resources to maintain the speed.
- Ethernet does not require any settings (most of the time). You just plug it in, then it works. No channel issues, no frequency issues, no interference issues, no security type issues….
- All (arguable) wireless routers have Ethernet port. But not all routers offer wireless.
Of course 5GHz 802.11ac support is sufficient for Chromecast dongle to stream 4K videos. The issues are:
- Millions of existing (and happy) Chromecast do not have 5GHz support.
- Many 802.11ac routers in the market have poor quality. High speed connection cannot be sustained through WiFi.
- Many Chromecast users do not have a 802.11ac router.
The Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast is a perfect solution. The $15 investment can let you enjoy the $35 device for a few more years, with better performance.
Actually, Google did a good job to release new features for the existing devices, instead of forcing you to “upgrade” every 12 months for new features, for example, releasing SDK to developers, adding Android screen mirroring (screen cast), adding guest mode, adding Chromecast backdrop.
Now, Google add one more useful for you to use Ethernet connections.
If Chromecast had been developed by Apple or Samsung, we would have been upgraded to Chromecast 2 or Chromecast 2s, or Chromecast 2 Plus, for the same features we can enjoy on the old Chromecast device now.
Anyway, Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will not drag you back to wired era. It will simply extend the lifespan and function of our Chromecast device.
How the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will create new usage of Chromecast?
Chromecast is designed for you to enjoy internet contents. But many Chromecast owners used the device to stream local media files, or to share the desktop to TV.
There are many other creative ways to enjoy Chromecast, besides internet streaming.
The Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will probably make it possible to use Chromecast in office, not just at home.
For small startups, or SMEs, Chromecast can be an essential office equipment for demonstration and presentations.
What are the specifications of the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast? Why it does not offer 1000Mbps?
Ethernet adapter for Chromecast is essentially a combination of USB power adapter and 10/100Mbps Ethernet adapter.
100Mbps are sufficient for 4K videos.
The output current is still 850mA, which is identical to the output of the power adapter.
1000Mbps (1Gbps) would be good, but it is not necessary. You also have to balance the hardware specs in Chromecast. I doubt the hardware in old Chromecast can handle it.
What are the price of the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast?
It is $15. That’s why it is referred as $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast in this post.
But it is out of stock currently. The Ethernet adapter for Chromecast was sold out just in a few hours.
You have to wait a few weeks if you are not fast enough to place the order.
Update: you can order your Ethernet adapter for Chromecast now.
Do you have any questions or comments on Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast?
If you have any questions or comments on this Chromecast Ethernet Adapter, please let us know in the comment box below.
We will prepare a mini guide on how to use Ethernet adapter for Chromecast after we receive out unit. You can check the guide here.
For Chromecast tutorials, you may check our Chromecast how-to guide page.
Leave a Reply