Update: a mini user guide is available on how to use the Ethernet adapter for Chromecast.
Google quietly released a $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast on July 8.
The adapter will not only improve the network performance of Chromecast, especially if your WiFi network signal (strength and quality) is not so good, but also may introduce new uses for Chromecast.
I will share with you why this $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast is actually a big thing for the $35 Chromecast.
Will $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast drag you back to the wired era?
The $35 Chromecast is supposed to be very simple to set up and use.
Most of the time, it is. But not always.
Some Chromecast owners have faced such problems:
- Weak WiFi signal or poor WiFi signal quality near the TV.
- No idea how to connect the Chromecast to the wireless network.
- Very old wireless router only supporting 802.11b.
- No WiFi in the office.
- Poor network performance of Chromecast.
Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will surely solve these problems.
- Ethernet connection is far more stable than WiFi. Even the 10M/100M Ethernet ports in some aged routers usually can offer better and smoother streaming than 5G Hz wireless AC connection from middle-range 802.11ac routers.
- Chromecast currently only uses 2.4G Hz. 5G Hz support will be available in the next generation of Chromecast (Chromecast II?).
- Wireless connection requires more resources to maintain the speed.
- Ethernet does not require any settings (most of the time). You just plug it in, then it works. No channel issues, no frequency issues, no interference issues, no security type issues.
- All (arguable) wireless routers have an Ethernet port. But not all routers offer wireless.
Of course, 5GHz 802.11ac support is sufficient for the Chromecast dongle to stream 4K videos. The issues are:
- Millions of existing (and happy) Chromecast do not have 5GHz support.
- Many 802.11ac routers in the market have poor quality. High-speed connections cannot be sustained through WiFi.
- Many Chromecast users do not have an 802.11ac router.
The Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast is a perfect solution. The $15 investment can let you enjoy the $35 device for a few more years with better performance.
Actually, Google did a good job of releasing new features for the existing devices instead of forcing you to “upgrade” every 12 months for new features, for example, releasing SDK to developers, adding Android screen mirroring (screen cast), adding guest mode, adding Chromecast backdrop.
Now, Google add one more useful for you to use Ethernet connections.
If Apple or Samsung had developed Chromecast, we would have been upgraded to Chromecast 2 or Chromecast 2s, or Chromecast 2 Plus, for the same features we can enjoy on the old Chromecast device now.
Anyway, an Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will not drag you back to the wired era. It will simply extend the lifespan and function of our Chromecast device.
How the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will create new usage of Chromecast?
There are many other creative ways to enjoy Chromecast besides internet streaming.
The Ethernet adapter for Chromecast will probably make it possible to use Chromecast in the office, not just at home.
For small startups or SMEs, Chromecast can be essential office equipment for demonstrations and presentations.
What are the specifications of the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast? Why it does not offer 1000Mbps?
Ethernet adapter for Chromecast is essentially a combination of USB power adapter and 10/100Mbps Ethernet adapter.
100Mbps is sufficient for 4K videos.
The output current is still 850mA, which is identical to the output of the power adapter.
1000Mbps (1Gbps) would be good, but it is not necessary. You also have to balance the hardware specs in Chromecast. I doubt the hardware in old Chromecast can handle it.
What is the price of the $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast?
It is $15. That’s why it is referred to as a $15 Ethernet adapter for Chromecast in this post.
But it is out of stock currently. The Ethernet adapter for Chromecast was sold out in just a few hours.
You have to wait a few weeks if you are not fast enough to place the order.
you can order your Ethernet adapter for Chromecast now. Google discontinued this Ethernet adapter (for the micro USB connection). But you can use some third-party Ethernet adapters for Chromecast. For example, here are the two:
- Ethernet Adapter for TV Stick: UGREEN Ethernet Adapter compatible with Fire Stick Basic/4k MAX/4k/Lite, Google Chromecast 1/2/3/Ultra/Audio, Google Home Mini, Roku Express 4K, and More.(Note: Not compatible with Fire Stick 1, Google Home Mini cellphones, tablets, and Laptops.)
- Say Goodbye to Slow or Weak Wi-Fi Connection: UGREEN Chromecast Ethernet Adapter can provide 10/100 mbps internet speed. Stable wired connection and high internet speed help you watch 4K HD Video smoothly.
- 3.3 ft Long Cable Design: The Micro USB and USB power cable in the UGREEN Firestick Ethernet Adapter has a length of up to 3.3ft/100cm, it can come in handy if you have little-to-no wiggle room behind your TV.
- Comes with an USB A Power Cable: UGREEN Ethernet Adapter comes with a USB A power cord, which can power the Ethernet Network Adapter and TV Stick at the same time, no need to buy extra cables.
- Plug and Play: UGREEN USB to Ethernet Adapter does not need to install any software, just connect the micro USB cable to the TV Stick, the ethernet cable to the RJ45 port of the adapter, and the USB cable to the power supply. Simple operation and convenient use.
- Add extra wired Ethernet & USB 3 ports extra storage to your streaming device for connecting wired network,flash drive,wireless keyboard or whatever USB peripherals,Stable work at the same time.(please note: Not compatible with Fire Stick 1, Roku Stick/Express,Fire HD 10,Google Home Mini cellphones, tablets, and Laptops,USB only for charging.)
- Support 10/100M wired network Ethernet connection, faster and more stable，and 3 ports (480Mbps) of Simultaneous data transfer possible.no buffering, no lag.
- 4-in-1 integrated design, no need to combine, the signal transmission is more stable. The length is 3.3 ft. It is easy to operate and allows you to place it anywhere without worrying about loose connections.
- Plug & Play,no additional driver/software needed. Just need to connect it to an available devices and LAN network, it will be activated.
- Compatible with Fire TV Stick 4K,Streaming TV Sticks,Google Home Mini, Media Players,Chromecast Ultra / 3 / 2 / 1 / Audio,Raspberry Pi Zero, and Support Micro USB port TV stick,etc.
Do you have any questions or comments on Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast?
If you have any questions or comments on this Chromecast Ethernet Adapter, please let us know in the comment box below.
We will prepare a mini guide on how to use the Ethernet adapter for Chromecast after we receive our unit. Update: You can check the guide here.
For Chromecast tutorials, you may check our Chromecast how-to guide page.