Update (November 2023): an updated guide on installing Google Play Store and apps from Play Store on Amazon Fire tablet
Please check this updated guide on how to install the Google Play Store on a Fire tablet.
Update (July 2019): Amazon Prime Video app now supports Chromecast
As explained in this guide, the Amazon Prime Video app on Android and IOS now supports Chromecast.
However, the Prime Video app on Fire tablets still does NOT support Chromecast. And you cannot install the Google Play Store version of the Prime Video app on a Fire tablet.
Update (2016/02): Android screen mirroring works on Fire tablet 5th generation and later
For Fire tablet 5th generation and later ONLY (you can check yours in Settings– Device options–Device model), you can also use Screencast for Chromecast (Android screen mirroring). You can run the Play Store and update Play services. Please follow this guide to run one ADB command.
For all previous generations of Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, and Kindle Fire HDX tablets with Fire OS 4 or earlier, you cannot run the Google Play Store app. Screencast does not work either.
Being an Amazon customer does not mean you cannot enjoy Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets!
Amazon Fire tablet (including Fire HD, Fire HDX, Kindle Fire HDX, and Fire Max 11) offers an excellent value-for-money tablet option. However, Amazon customized Android OS to such an extent that it looks different from many other Android tablets.
Although Amazon proudly named the OS Fire OS, it is essentially still Android: most Android apps can run on Amazon Fire tablets. You can sideload many Google Play store apps on the tablet. Please follow this guide if you are not sure how to get Google Play store apps to your Fire HD, Fire HDX, or Kindle Fire HDX.
If you are a Chromecast owner with one of these Amazon Fire tablets, you can also enjoy Chromecast on your Fire tablet.
Apart from this, you can enjoy all other features of Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets as you did on Android devices.
What are the requirements to get Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets?
To enjoy Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets, you need to install (sideload) the following five apps to your tablet:
ChromecastGoogle Home app for Android
- Google Play Services app
- Google Play Store app
- Google Services Framework app
- Google Account Manager
The first two can be sideloaded with 1Mobile Market. The other 2 will be installed from APK files directly. I will show you how to get these APK files. Of course, if you want, you can install all of them from APK files directly (see the section of List of resources for this guide).
Now, it is easy to sideload the last 4 apps from the APKMirror.com. Then, you can install the Google Home app from the Google Play Store (read on).
A step-by-step guide to getting Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets
The Chromecast app is now the Google Home app.
The steps are explained and illustrated in this guide:
- Step 3: Install APK files
- Step 5: Install Google Home from the Google Play Store
- Step 6: Turn off apps from unknown sources on your Amazon Fire tablet
It is a good practice to turn off apps from unknown sources once you finish the installation.
How to use Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets
The use of Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets is identical to that on Android devices. But there is one exception.
Android screen mirroring (screen casting) is NOT working on Amazon Fire tablets
In Android devices, Android screen mirroring is one of the most welcomed features.
Android screen mirroring (screen casting) is working on Amazon Fire tablets.
As shown below, in Amazon Fire tablets, in the Chromecast app, you can find the Cast screen option.
Enjoy Chromecast on Fire tablets with apps that support Chromecast
Almost all Android apps that support Chromecast can run on Amazon Fire tablets. This means you can enjoy Chromecast as you do on Android devices.
For example, you can install a YouTube app from the Google Play Store.
After starting the YouTube app on your Amazon Fire tablet, you can notice the casting icon as shown below.
Tap the casting icon to cast the video to the TV through Chromecast instead of playing on the tablet.
Select the Chromecast device to proceed.
Now, you can control the pay on the TV from your Fire tablet, as shown below.
The usage is identical to that on Android devices.
Another example is the Plex app.
You can also use the Plex app on a Fire tablet. Actually, the app is available in the Amazon App Store. It is not necessary to sideload. If you are unsure about setting up your Plex media server, this guide is for you.)
You can also find the casting icon in your Fire tablet in the Plex app. Tap it as shown below to cast to the selected Chromecast device.
List of resources for this guide
- How to sideload apps to Amazon fire tablet? http://kindlefireforkid.com/how-to-sideload-android-apps-in-kindle-fire-kindle-fire-hd-and-kindle-fire-hdx/
- APK Mirror: http://www.apkmirror.com/
- Android screen mirroring: https://allaboutchromecast.com/android-screen-casting-for-chromecast-is-now-supported-on-all-android-devices-with-kitkat-4-4-2-or-later/
- How to set up your own Plex media server: https://allaboutchromecast.com/how-to-use-plex-media-server-to-stream-local-media-to-chromecast-from-your-pc/
- Miracast vs Chromecast: https://allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-vs-miracast-everything-you-need-know-about-wireless-display-and-screen-mirroring/
- Do what you love, uninterrupted — 25% faster performance than the previous generation and 3 GB RAM are ideal for seamless streaming, reading, and gaming.
- High-def entertainment — A 10.1″ 1080p Full HD display brings brilliant color to all your shows and games. Binge watch longer with 13-hour battery, 32 or 64 GB of storage, and up to 1 TB expandable storage with micro-SD card (sold separately).
- Thin, light, durable — Tap into entertainment from anywhere with a lightweight, durable design and strengthened glass made from aluminosilicate glass. As measured in a tumble test, Fire HD 10 is 2.7 times as durable as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (2022).
- Stay up to speed — Use the 5 MP front-facing camera to Zoom with family and friends, or create content for social apps like Instagram and TikTok.
- Ready when inspiration strikes — With 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity, the Made for Amazon Stylus Pen (sold separately) offers a natural writing experience that responds to your handwriting. Use it to write, sketch in apps like OneNote, and more.
Do you have problems using Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets (Fire HD, Fire HDX, and Kindle Fire HDX)?
If you have any questions or encounter any problems using Chromecast on Amazon Fire tablets (Fire HD, Fire HDX, and Kindle Fire HDX), please let us know in the comment box below.
For more Chromecast tutorials, you may check our Chromecast how-to guide page.