Where is the Chromecast Audio LED indicator
You may notice that next to the micro USB port (which is for power), there is a small LED.
Don’f overlook this tiny LED.
This is the Chromecast Audio LED indicator.
The status of this LED indicator tells you the status of Chromecast Audio device.
Why Chromecast Audio LED indicator is so important?
Unlike Chromecast which can show status on the TV screen, Chromecast Audio can only output audio.
But Google has not implemented any audio notifications on Chromecast Audio.
So, Chromecast Audio relies on this tiny Chromecast Audio LED indicator to tell you what it is doing or going on, for example, booting, updating, casting.
If there are any problems with the device, the LED will give you the corresponding signals.
So, it is important to know the meaning of Chromecast Audio LED colors when Chromecast does not work as expected.
Meaning of Chromecast Audio LED colors
There are two colors of the LED: white or orange.
And there are 2 statuses : solid or pulsing (flashing).
So, in total, Chromecast Audio LED indicator can indicate 4 statuses.
1. Pulsing orange: not ready
If the Chromecast Audio LED is orange and pulsing, it means Chromecast Audio is just starting or is receiving an update. Chromecast Audio is based on Chrome OS, which always updates itself when the update is available.
Under this status, you cannot use Chromecast Audio and it is not available for casting.
So, when the Chromecast Audio LED is pulsing orange, you should WAIT, WAIT and WAIT. Do not disconnect the power adapter.
2. Pulsing white: disconnected, setup is needed.
If the Chromecast Audio LED is white and pulsing, it usually means:
- your Chromecast Audio needs setup. You may follow this guide to set up Chromecast Audio.
- or, your Chromecast Audio failed to connect to internet. You should check your router. If you change your router or change wireless network settings, you need factory data reset Chromecast Audio.
3. Solid white: ready to cast or casting now!
If the Chromecast Audio LED is solid white, you can stream music to the Chromecast Audio device.
Of course, if Chromecast Audio is being used, you can manage/control the device from Chromecast app in any mobile devices in your home network.
Please note, once the Chromecast Audio LED is solid white, all devices can use it to stream music. No device can hog it. The latter streaming request always overwrites existing one. Chromecast Audio can handle only one stream at any time.
4. Solid orange: bad luck, something wrong with Chromecast Audio.
Solid orange Chromecast Audio LED indicates that there are some errors in Chromecast Audio. It is in trouble.
If this happens to your Chromecast Audio, you may try:
- unplug the power adapter (or disconnect USB cable from the Chromecast Audio, wait 1-2 minutes, then plug the power adapter back.
- try a new power adapter. Chromecast Audio need a power adapter with 5V 1A output. You can use some phone chargers. But you need make sure the output current is 1-1.5A.
- If the problem still persists, you have no option but to factory data reset Chromecast Audio.
Do you understand meaning of Chromecast Audio LED colors? Do you know the corresponding Chromecast Audio status?
If you have any questions or encounter any problems on the Chromecast Audio LED colors or Chromecast Audio status, please let us know in the comment box below.
The community will try to help you find the answer or solution.
For more Chromecast Audio guides, please visit Chromecast Audio guide page.
If your question is on Chromecast including both 1st generation Chromecast, and new Chromecast (aka Chromecast 2015), please visit Chromecast how-to guides page.
Leave a Reply